Companions on new journeys
When you are trying to figure out your life, being part of a spiritual community makes a huge difference. What are you searching for? Where is God calling you? We need those around us who can walk with us, hear our stories and be real with us.
Young Adults @ First Church (ages 18-35, ish)
First Church has a vibrant young adult community (ages 18 through 20- & 30- somethings), and offers programs and opportunities for engaging important issues, meeting new people, deepening friendships, and getting support, doing service in our community together, and seeking spirit and truth. We are a diverse mix of students (grad & undergrad), young professionals, & out-of-the-boxers, seekers and skeptics, singles, couples, and families of all configurations. We gather regularly to eat, pray, and play together. Recent meetups include potlucks, game nights, hikes, LGBTQ country two-step, froyo outings, etc!
Open Chapel: a new thing by & for young adults
Join us every first and third Wednesday (Sept-May) for “Open Chapel," a new thing for and by young adults as we slow down, sing out, tune in, break bread, and open up! This progressive Christian worship gathering is open to all young adults and takes place in First Church Berkeley’s Loper Chapel (right at the corner of Dana and Durant near the UC Berkeley campus). Services are led by Young Adult Minister Kit Novotny, with a team of young adults and folk musicians Sarah and Joel Gettys.
Fall 2016 dates: Sept 7 & 21, Oct 5 & 19, Nov 2 & 16, Dec 7 & 21.
Young Adult Sunday Lunches Out
Most second Sundays of the month, young adults gather in the cloister (outdoor courtyard area) after worship (around 12:15/12:30 pm), and then head to a local restaurant for lunch and conversation. The cost depends on the selected location and meal choices but is usually $5-10. Different members of the young adult community serve as informal hosts each month.
Why church? Why First Church Berkeley?
Wondering if our church & young adult community are for you? If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, then yes, find a way to check us out!
Are you in the midst of some big life transitions:
- Are you less than settled/far from rooted in your place of residence / sense of "home" ?
- Are you exploring significant relationships…longing for new and true friends, and people you can be real with?
- Are you seeking direction for a course of study / career that is more than a job, but a vocation or calling where your deep joy meets the world's deep needs?
- Have you been burned or bored by church in the past, but know there's got to be something more alive and life-giving out there?
Are you looking for a faith community...
- that is inclusive, progressive, and Open and Affirming?
- where you can explore God in community... even if you're not quite sure what you believe or where church fits in?
- where you can connect with people of all ages, but also be supported by a vibrant group of peers?
- that works together for peace, justice and joy for ALL people?
- that will love and accept you exactly as you are, and as you are becoming?
Young Adults @ First Church Email Newsletter
Sign up to get Rev. Kit's occasionally inspiring & often irreverent Young Adults @ First Church newsletter delivered to your inbox every other week. aka the ministry of gifs.
Young Adults @ First Church Facebook Group
Connect with fellow young adults at First Church by joining our open Young Adults @ First Church Facebook group! Find young adult group events, post & initiate events, share articles / links / songs / inspiration, engage in spiritual discussion, crowdsource, post/seek job/housing opportunities, etc. A great way to support & stay connected with fellow young adults & the life of the church.